Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Weeks 8 & 9: Midterms



I have missed blogging for the past two weeks. It has become a great way for me to reflect and comprehend everything I'm experiencing. Writing the title for this post was a little startling as I don't feel I've spent anywhere near 8 or 9 weeks in Jordan. It honestly feels like I've spent maybe 3 weeks here. But I must apologize for my missing post from last week and the lack of pictures this time around. I uploaded a picture of my new oud surrounded by everything I'm packing for Aqaba but for someone reason it didn't save correctly. Therefore I won't be able to upload any new pictures before I leave tomorrow morning for the Red Sea. But yes, I have an oud! I traded the travel guitar I brought for one of the instructor's ouds at the place where I take lessons. It's even acoustic-electric. But enough with the oud description, I could go on and on about it. I want to convey a few meaningful experiences to you all before I depart tomorrow.
These past two weeks have been hard with midterms and a variety of writing assignments due. It's amazing how fast study time slips away when you're commuting by cab. But what I've taken away from all my midterms and my realization that I'm halfway through the semester is I have come a long way in learning Arabic. This sense of accomplishment led me to another important realization this past week, there is no reason I shouldn't be speaking Arabic all the time. My program doesn't mandate that we speak Arabic with other students, therefore I have started my own language pledge. It's been hard at first to stay conscious and strive to speak completely in arabic, but I know every day on the pledge will serve me well in the long run. Although, besides Arabic I also continually try to keep my Spanish skills up to par. Speaking Spanish in public actually got me into a weird situation today at Burger King. I know you're already asking 'why did you buy Burger King in Jordan?' I had very little time between classes and my favorite shwarma restaurant at Abdoun circle was mobbed. Anyways, I was speaking with my Puerto Rican friend and I said the word for 'never' a few times as part of our conversation (in Spanish jamas). I suddenly became aware of people looking at me strangely as we waited in line. From now on when I practice Spanish, at least in Jordan, I will use the other word for never: nunca. I'm going to have to cut this short as it's getting late, I haven't packed yet, and I'm leaving tomorrow morning for the south of Jordan. I can assure you after I return from Aqaba my next blog post will feature many pictures and extensive descriptions. One of the girls in my group even has an underwater camera which should yield some awesome snorkeling shots. I hope all is well where ever you are reading this.

1 comment:

  1. For those of you who do not speak spanish, jamas sounds just like Hamas, the extremist political group in palistine and lebanon. Betsy

    ReplyDelete